It’s a hot summer’s day, and you have just got home from a long afternoon shopping session. Drenched in sweat, your only escape to beat the heat is sitting under the air conditioning unit for hours at a stretch. But to make things worse, the air conditioning doesn’t seem to respond after you have turned it on. With summer in the offing, the last thing you want is an AC that doesn’t work.
The worst thing you can encounter during a season of scorching heat is an AC that just won’t start. Unfortunately, this happens to be the case with the majority of the people who use their air conditioning only during the winters. But before you can call the AC repair personnel, there are a few things you can try from your end as well.
If your air conditioning is acting strange, your best bet to get your ac back up and running is to reset it all together. This article will walk you through how you can perform a simple ac repair without spending a penny whatsoever.
Why Should You Reset Your Air Conditioner?
Given the current world situation, half of the world population is forced to work from home. And when working from home, there are times when you drastically need the services of an air conditioner.
However, a certain number of people only tend to use their air conditioners during the summer. This keeps the ac dormant for almost 8 months at a stretch. When it comes to electrical appliances, the best way to ensure they remain in an excellent working condition is to make sure you turn them from time to time.
You may need to reset your AC during the following scenarios.
- Sudden Blackout
- Power Fluctuations
- Power Overload
- Damaged Components
Resetting Your Air Conditioner
If your ac breaks down or starts malfunctioning, it may not always call for air conditioning repairs. However, you can try a few things from your end, such as performing an ac reset. The majority of the modern-day air conditioners come with a dedicated RESET button using which you can reset your AC. Meanwhile, some ACs have a rather complicated process when it comes to resetting.
Therefore, we will walk you through the different processes you can reset an AC of any type.
- Always make sure you wear protective equipment such as insulator gloves and footwear when performing electrical repairs.
Reset The Air Conditioner Using the RESET button
Many of the ACS from the 21st century have a simple architecture followed by an easy UI layout. As a result, they will have a dedicated Reset button present either towards their front or back. To reset your AC, you need to locate the button and press it. The button is relatively easy to identify and is usually RED in color and labeled as RESET.
- Locate the RESET Button
- Press and hold the button for 3 seconds, and then release
- Again, press and hold the button for 3 seconds, and then release
- When you hear three beeps, it means that the AC Reset is in progress
What If My AC Doesn’t Have A Reset Button?
There is a high probability that the AC won’t have a reset button. But that is no cause of concern as there are still ways using which you can reset the AC. This may require a visit to the switchboard, so make sure you know the location of the switchboard
Reset The Air Conditioner Using The Isolation Switch
To perform a rest using the isolation switch, trace the given steps.
- Locate The Isolation Switch
- The isolation switch will be a simple knob with the ON and OFF options for newer models.
- For older models, the isolation switch will be like an ordinary light switch for older models.
- Turn the isolator OFF
- Wait for at least 40 minutes
- This will allow the AC’s components to reset and reorganize themselves
- Upon reaching the 40-minute work, turn on the switch
- Test your AC to check if the problem persists.
Reset The Air Conditioner Using The Main PowerPoint
If you have a portable AC or an AC embedded into the window, it won’t have an isolation switch. In such cases, you will need to rely on PowerPoint. Trace the given steps
- Locate the Main PowerPoint
- Turn off the power
- Unplug the AC cord from the power supply
- Leave the AC like this for at least 40 minutes
- Upon reaching the 30-minute work, plug in the cord to the power supply
- Turn on the power
- Turn on your AC to check if the problem persists
Reset Your Air Conditioner Using The Main Switchboard
As we said earlier, fixing an AC without a dedicated RESET button will cost you a trip to the switch. To reset your air conditioner using the main switchboard, you can try the given steps.
- Locate the Main Switchboard (could be found either in the laundry, the garage, the basement, or towards the side of the house in either a cupboard or an enclosed space.
- Open the Switchboard to gain access.
- You will now see the fuses, circuit breakers, and RCD safety switches before you.
- Locate the AC switch ( it will be labeled)
- Flip the switch/breaker to the OFF position
- Wait for at least 30 minutes
NOTE: If you have fuses, you CAN NOT reset your AC unit. If you have fuses, your best bet will be to replace them altogether.
- Turn on the switch/breaker
- Check if the problem is settled.
The Bottom Line
There are several things you can try by yourselves to perform an AC repair if your AC is acting up. However, note that some underlying problems will need you to call for electrical assistance. Therefore, always ensure you know the underlying cause before doing any fixes.
Contact AVS Heating Today For A Wide Range Of Heating And Cooling Solutions And Maintenance Services. For More Information, Contact us at 703-783-7562.