banner image
Home / Electrical

Some of the Common Electrical Problems Includes

Frequent Electrical Surges

Electrical surges can be caused by anything from lightning strikes, damage to power lines, faulty air condition or appliances and bad electrical wiring to appliances or ac unit in the house. While an actual surge lasts only for a microsecond, frequent surges can damage the electrical components connected to your home.

If you experience frequent electrical surges, the culprit is probably an air conditioning, heating unit or appliances connected to the home grid or the wiring itself. Try disconnecting power to the appliance or AC unit from the outlet to see if this prevents the surges. Otherwise, it might be a time to consult a professional electrician.

Dips in Power

Common with electrical surges, sags and dips in electrical supply can often relate to air conditioning, heating unit or appliances devices connected to your electrical box that is faulty or made with substandard materials, and draw a lot of power especially when the air conditioner or heating units are turned on.

Light Switches Not Working Properly

Dimmer or switches that don’t adjust light properly can often relate to loose wiring connections or defective switches.

Circuit Breaker Tripping Frequently

High wattage items like microwaves, washer, dryer, cooking range, dishwasher, garbage disposal, trash compactor, air conditioning units, furnace, boiler, water heater or loose connections might also, trip circuit breakers, particularly when other power consuming items connect on the same source. A circuit breaker is designed to detect any faulty condition and protect your home from short-circuits

Look at what you were using when it tripped if it was an appliance or an HVAC system. Alternatively, try to limit electrical usage when high watt devices are in use.

Circuit Overload

One of the biggest causes of frequent circuit breaker tripping is the overload of power boards. Most homes and apartments, even newer ones, don’t have enough power points to cater to, for example, a complete home entertainment unit set-up. If circuit breakers in your home are frequently tripping, it could be due to a short-circuit in an appliance or your HVAC system. Call AVS Heating and Air Conditioning at 703-893-8847 (VA) or 301-608-0666 (MD) to resolve any concern associated with your appliance or an HVAC system.

Lights Too Bright or Dim

If some lights around the house seem excessively bright but others are dim, then there are two probable causes of this:

  • Sometimes lights get dim when there is too much load on the electric panel. It’s a common problem in peak summer time when AC units are running all the time.
  • Bad Main Neutral Connection: this will continue to cause problems to the home until it is fixed by a professional.

Electrical Shocks

An electrical shock is a nasty experience. Even though it is usually a mild one, something akin to a static shock, it reminds us that electricity is dangerous when not probably utilized.

Electrical shocks typically happen when you turn a device on or off. The issue could be with the home appliance, air conditioning heating unit or it could be in the wiring. You can test this by plugging in another device and see if the results are reproducible; however, you’re just risking another electrical shock. In most cases, it might be better to speak with an expert or consult dominion power or Pepco.

High Electricity Bill

Reducing the cost of your electrical bill could include:

  • Keep heating, an AC thermostat setting at higher temperature during the summer months and in the winter at lower temperature to reduce the electric consumption?
  • Identifying electrical devices that may be causing power surges.
  • Check temperature of hot water heater.
  • Unplugging appliances and chargers when not in use.
  • Repairing damaged wiring or circuits.

Light Bulbs Burning Out Too Often

There are a number of reasons your lights may be burning out too often:

  • Wattage is too high
  • Insulation is too close to the light
  • Bad wiring on the circuit
  • Light bulb not making a good contact inside the light fixture.
  • On a dimmer switch, too much total wattage on one switch

Recessed Light ‘goes out’ and Comes Back On

When the temperature rises too high then, recessed lighting connected with safety devices cut out power to the light. It may be you’re using too high wattage on the bulb, or insulation in the ceiling is also close to the bulb. If that is not the issue, then it could be related to your home HVAC system or appliances in your home.

Get Help Today!

Same day service, 7 days a week

VA 703-457-9028

MD 301-686-7129

We can provide expert 24 hour Emergency
Service, Contact when you need it!

Request a Callback

    We Finance

    Quick credit decision.


    AVS Coupon